“Know, o prince, that between the years of the failed Conan movie re-boot, and the endless rumors of Arnold’s aged return as king, there was yet another Conan video game announced.” – The Cynical Scrolls of the Jaded Masses
Many dedicated fans of Conan and Robert E. Howard feel like we have been sold haga under the serpent towers of lotus-dreaming wizards for many years now. So when we see a new Conan game by Funcom announced recently many of us just roll our eyes and go back to gnawing on our lizard-on-a-stick.
All we have been teased with so far is a short trailer with crucifixions, blood and skulls.
There is also a developer diary you can find on Funcom’s YouTube page, if you are interested in seeing game designers hype their own game. Remember how amazing the Conan MMORPG was going to be?
Here is what Funcom is promising in the upcoming Conan Exiles:
“Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game. You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept by terrible sandstorms and besieged on every side by enemies. Here you must fight to survive, build and dominate. Early Access on PC coming summer 2016. Full launch on PC and consoles to follow.”
The game is supposed to feature:
- Play in the world of Conan the Barbarian. Explore a unique part of Hyboria and discover places, people and monsters known from the Conan stories.
- Engage in dynamic, bloody, fast-paced combat and unleash your fury upon your opponents. Chop off arms, legs and heads as you crush your enemies.
- Survive as an exile cast into a savage, brutal world. Hone your skills, grow your strength and learn to master the rough environment.
- Harvest resources, craft tools and forge weapons. Build structures and entire settlements. Bring civilization to the exiled lands.
- Drive your enemies before you and sacrifice them on the altars of the gods to shift the balance of power. Make allies and go to war to capture enemy settlements and strongholds.
- AND OTHER STUFF
Robert E. Howard’s Conan world is such a rich and exciting place that many fans hold onto a glimmer of hope that the next game or movie will somewhat live up to the adventure of the original yarns. Hopefully the developers of Exiles feel the shadow of Conan standing over them with an axe in hand like R.E. Howard did when he was frantically writing the stories all those years ago.
“Conan sensed their uncertainty and grinned mirthlessly and ferociously. “Who dies first?” – The Phoenix on the Sword (1932)